Alpha and Omega
The history of modern music is intrinsically linked to the Akai Professional MPC line. Akai has created machines that have spawned new genres and advanced existing ones. Countless instruments have attempted to replicate the design, workflow and celebrated swing of the Music Production Center. In short, the MPC is a legend maker.
In creating the new MPC X, they learned lessons from every MPC that preceded it to engineer a production centerpiece truly fit to be the Music Production Center of the future.
The Beast, Unleashed
The X is a standalone MPC featuring a beautiful, full color 10.1” multi-touch screen, 16 amazingly responsive, velocity- and pressure-sensitive RGB pads and 16 gigs of internal storage. To make it a truly untethered, computer-free experience, the X also features two USB slots that can be used for MIDI controller connectivity.
Powering the X is our stellar MPC 2.0 Software, which runs natively in standalone mode. For more expressive performances, there are 16 touch-sensitive 360-degree assignable pots—perfect for precisely automating individual QLink parameters. Above each of those QLink pots is a high-resolution OLED display, detailing info for the individual parameter.
To Plug or Not to Plug
Whether you prefer to go computer-free or not, it can’t be denied that there are some fantastic sounding VST instruments and effects out there. For those times when you need your favorite plug-ins, the MPC X effortlessly goes from formidable standalone to high-powered MIDI controller, explicitly designed to run the feature-rich MPC Software 2.0 in your favorite DAW. A number of new features added to 2.0 include: Audio track recording, improved time warp, enhanced Q-Link control, audio and MIDI drag and drop all appearing on a new graphical interface.
Infinite Sounds, Unlimited Inspiration
The MPC has a well-earned reputation for sounds that hit hard and sound great, right out of the box. The X builds on that reputation. Pre-installed with 10 gigs of world-class sounds, The Vault 2.0 features samples and kits from top-notch sound design companies including Capsun Audio, MVP Loops, CR2 Records, as well as our own. Want to incorporate your own samples without tethering to a computer? The X features a 2.5” SATA drive connector providing additional storage via installation of a fixed hard drive – SSD or HDD (sold separately). Additionally, sounds can be accessed and added to the library using the built-in SD Card slot or the USB thumb drive. You can also record directly to all the aforementioned storage locations.
Above and Beyond
The MPC X has a number of additional features that make it the most powerful standalone music production tool to date. Onboard CV/Gate outputs enable the analog control of modular gear such as classic synths and drum machines. For vinyl junkies, we include two RCA phono inputs with RIAA preamp to ensure the right levels are coming into the X from your turntable. The joy of sampling vinyl is at the core of what made the classic MPC workflow legendary. We’re staying true to our roots while simultaneously improving the sound and stability of the sampling process.
The MPC X is the pinnacle of lengthy research and development, detailed feedback from Akai passionate user base and the merging of the best technologies from across their product line.
Akai proudly presents the Music Production Center that embodies the best of past, present and future beat-oriented production machines. The MPC X will be the centerpiece of studios worldwide and yours for years to come.
- Standalone MPC – no computer required
- 10.1” full-color multi-touch display
- Also acts as a control surface for MPC 2.0 software
- 16 Touch-capacitive Q-Link controls with OLED displays
- Turntable (RCA) inputs with ground peg
- 16GB of on-board storage (over 10GB of sound content included)
- User-expandable 2.5” SATA drive connector (SSD or HDD)
- 2 MIDI inputs, 4 MIDI Outputs
- 8 configurable CV/Gate outputs for the analog control of modular gear, such as classic synths
- 2 USB-A 3.0 slots for thumb drives or MIDI controllers
- Ableton Link and WiFi will be supported in future updates
- Windows 8.1 or newer
- Mac OS X 10.10.5 or newer
- 2.0: Minimum 2GB free disk space (20GB for all content)
- Minimum 4GB RAM (8GB recommended)
- Minimum Dual-core 2.5GHz CPU
- (16) velocity- and pressure-sensitive pads, RGB-backlit
- (8) banks accessible via Pad Bank buttons
- (16) 360° touch-sensitive Q-Link knobs for parameter adjustment
- (1) 360° encoder for display navigation and selection via push
- (7) 270° knobs for gain, mix & level adjustment
- (63) dedicated-function buttons
- 10.1” / 257 mm (diagonal)
- 8.5” x 5.5” / 216 x 139 mm (width x height)
- Full-color LED-backlit display with touch interface
- Processor 1.8 GHz quad-core ARM® Cortex® A17 processor
- RAM 2 GB
- Storage 16 GB (user storage, 10 GB pre-installed content), 4 GB (MPC operating system)
- (2) XLR+1/4” (6.35 mm) TRS inputs (Input 1/2)
- (2) 1/4” (6.35 mm) TRS inputs (Input 3/4: 1 stereo pair)
- (2) 1/4” (6.35 mm) TS instrument inputs (Inst 1/2)
- (2) RCA inputs (Input 3/4: 1 stereo pair, phono- or line-level)
- (2) 1/4” (6.35 mm) TS footswitch inputs (FS 1/2)
- (2) 5-pin MIDI inputs
- (8) 1/4” (6.35 mm) TRS outputs (Main L/R, Outputs 3/4–7/8: 4 stereo pairs)
- (4) 5-pin MIDI outputs
- (8) 1/8” (3.5 mm) CV/Gate outputs
- (1) 1/4” (6.35 mm) stereo headphone output
- (1) 1/8” (3.5 mm) stereo headphone output
- (2) USB Type-A ports (1) USB Type-B port
- (1) SD card slot
- (1) power adapter input Power via power adapter (19 V, 3.42 A, center-positive, included)
Dimensions (width x depth x height)
- 19.9” x 16.7” x 3.4” / 50.5 x 42.4 x 8.7 cm (display flat)
- 19.9” x 15.3” x 8.4” / 50.5 x 38.8 x 21.4 cm (display upright)
- 12.57 lbs.
- 5.66 kg